|Hours:||7:15am - 8:30pm Monday to Friday|
|Location:||226 Service Street, Echuca Regional Health|
|Phone:||03 5485 5000|
The Day Surgery Unit provides pre and post operative care for patients that do not need to stay overnight in the hospital. A range of day procedures are provided:
- Endoscopies (colonoscopy, gastroscopy)
- Minor orthopedic surgery (eg arthroscopy)
- Local anaesthetic procedures (eg removal of skin lesions)
- Minor gynecological procedures
- Eye surgery (eg cataracts)
- Minor general procedures (eg hernia repair)
- Ear, Nose and Throat procedures (paediatric and adults)
- Paediatric surgery
The Day Surgery Unit staff also provide support after patients go home. Patients are telephoned to ensure that their post operative recovery is as expected, and so any questions can be answered.
Occasionally patients need to have an unplanned stay overnight after their procedure and if this occurs you will be transferred to a ward bed in either the Surgical Ward or Maternity Ward.
What to wear
- Loose comfortable clothes
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Do not wear makeup or nail polish
- Remove all body piercings and jewellery
After your operation
If you have a procedure performed under a general anaesthetic or intravenous sedation, you MUST have a family member or support person to drive you home from hospital and stay with you for 24 hours after the procedure. If you do not have a carer please notify the Theatre Liaison on 03 5485 5378 as soon as possible.
The anaesthetic drugs will affect you for up to 24 hours, therefore for the first 24 hours after surgery:
- Do not work
- Do not drink alcohol
- Do not sign any legal documents
- Do not drive a vehicle
- Do not operate heavy machinery
Discharge medications dispensed from the Pharmacy Department will incur a charge which must be paid for prior to discharge.
Departments and Services Hospital Day Surgical Unit